Mexican feasts bring some much-needed colour and vitality back into a gloomy January. This vegetarian chilli is perfect for sharing with family and friends – the butternut squash adds a twist to the classic recipe, and serving it in these crispy tortilla bowls makes getting your five-a-day even more fun. I love loading up mine with this guacamole recipe, salsa, and natural coconut yoghurt for a flavour-filled meal that keeps my stomach full and my soul happy.
For the chilli:
2 cans of different kinds of beans – I like one can each of butter beans and mixed beans
175g diced butternut squash
1 red pepper
1 red onion
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
Small handful of fresh herbs (optional) – coriander works well in this dish
For the guacamole:
1 large avocado
1 tbsp lemon juice
Small handful fresh coriander
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
8 tortilla wraps
- First, preheat the oven to 190° Chop the onion and fry in the olive oil on a medium heat, in a large, ovenproof casserole dish. Meanwhile, chop the pepper and add this to the pan, and stir fry until they soften.
- Add the diced butternut squash and continue to fry the vegetables for a couple of minutes, before then mixing in the tinned tomatoes and beans.
- Next, add the tomato purée, balsamic vinegar, chilli powder, cumin and water and stir through – simmer for three minutes.
- Move the pan into the oven on a medium heat (190°C) to cook for around 30 minutes.
- While this is cooking, you can prepare the guacamole. Simply peel and mash the avocado in a small bowl, then add in your lemon juice and coriander. Continue mashing until the guacamole is as smooth or chunky as you like it, then cover and place in the fridge until ready to eat.
- Five minutes before the chilli is ready to come out of the oven, line four cereal-sized, ovenproof bowls with one tortilla each, so they form a bowl shape. Place these in the oven for around three minutes until the wraps go slightly crisped around the edges.
- When everything is ready to serve, divide the chilli evenly between the four tortilla-lined bowls. Serve with the remaining four wraps (ideal for dunking!), guacamole, salad, salsa and whatever other sides you like!