As featured on Rachael’s Raw Food website!
These raw rolls are really easy to make, and can be kept in the fridge so that you’re never short of a healthy snack. You could also roll them into bliss balls for a bite-size treat on the go. The sticky dates and spices make them ideal for children and adults alike, and no one would guess that they are completely free from refined sugars!
The pecans are rich in healthy fatty acids that balance cholesterol levels, increasing HDLs (the ‘good’ cholesterol). Pecans also provide important antioxidants such as Vitamin E, preventing cell damage caused by free radicals. That’s a lot of goodness packed in one little roll!
Makes 10 mini rolls
Preparation time: 5 minutes
1 cup pecans
½ cup ground almonds
6 pitted dates
4 tbsp seedless raisins
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Flaked almonds to roll them in
- Add the pecans to a food processor and pulse for a few seconds.
2. Chop the dates into smaller pieces, then add in these and all the other remaining ingredients to the food processor and blitz until a sticky mixture is formed. You will probably need to stop the processor a couple of times to scrape down the sides and make sure the mixture is evenly combined.
- Roll the mixture with your hands to form around 10 evenly sized rolls.
- Sprinkle a generous pile of flaked almonds on to a clean surface and roll each of them, pressing down gently to ensure the almonds stick to the rolls.
5. Place in the fridge for around 10 minutes to ensure they hold together better. These will keep for a week or more in the fridge, but I doubt they will last that long!
Tip – You may need to add in more dates/raisins or ground almonds to achieve the desired consistency – it all depends on the size and moisture content of the dried fruit used.